No products in the basket.
- Delicious, locally reared organic beef delivered straight to your doorstep
- The Story is run by two proud farmers, best friends Luke and Jim. Both are staunch believers in good quality, locally produced organic food
- Traditional South Devon and North Devon cattle
- Pasture-fed livestock
- Naturally reared beef from farms nestled in the heart of the beautiful Chew Valley
This is food with a real story: Traditional South Devon and North Devon cattle which have natural, grass-based diets. The cattle are reared to the highest livestock standards and the meat is then traditionally hung for 30 days and butchered with respect. Story Organic farms in a way that enhances the environment for the next generation; the end result is marbled, succulent, tender meat with delicious flavour.
The company is called The Story because Luke and Jim are passionate about creating great tasting local and organic food that respects the animals and the environment. They want people to know the story behind the meat they eat.
Why 100% pasture fed?
Pasture containing grasses, wildflowers and herbs is the natural diet of cattle and sheep – yet very few animals today are fed on pasture alone. Many farmers now try to produce their meat as quickly as possible, feeding cattle things like cereals and imported soya and keeping them indoors for some – or all – of the time. This means animals are vanishing from our fields and the tasty, healthy food they produce from grazing grass is hard to find. At The Story this is not the case.
Pasture beef is better for human health than grain-fed beef in 10 different ways:
- Lower in total fat
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease
- 60% increase in total omega-3 fatty acids (good fats)
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids
- Higher in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be turned into CLA)
- Higher in vitamin E
- Higher in B vitamins
- 10-fold increase in beta-carotene
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium and potassium
- Red meat from animals reared on grass is known to contain much higher levels of beneficial fatty acids and other compounds, such as conjugated linoleic acid, which have been shown to have anti-cancer properties
Perfect for Paleo
Growing interest in the Paleo Diet™ (caveman/Stone Age) is boosting demand for grass-fed meat.
Meat is an essential part of the diet and should ideally come from animals that have only ever eaten grass and forage crops.
Followers of the burgeoning network of CrossFit gyms are also on the lookout for healthy meat from grass-fed animals to support their intensive physical training programmes.
The health benefits associated with pasture meat are already recognised by elite sportsmen and sportswomen. However, many of these benefits only come from animals that have been kept on pasture their entire lifetimes.